Thursday, April 26, 2007

my greatest thanks


The past few weeks have, no doubt, been quite difficult and definitely a rollercoaster ride, but I wanted to thank all of you for being so loving and supportive and trying to make this time as easy as possible. I could not ask for better people in my life to help me through, what will absolutely be, the hardest and most painful thing I will ever go through. That said, the past few weeks have also been quite amazing in their own little way. During Sean's last minutes he was blessed enough to have his entire family right at his side to help him let go. Those moments were like life beginning, they were so peaceful and so calm, with no suffering, and it was amazing.


Then we held two spectacular gatherings in Sean's memory full of music, photos, and friends, without a doubt something Sean would have approved of. Thank you so much to all of you who were able to make it to either the gathering in MD or NY, it was nice to see so many faces there for such a wonderful man. Finally, last Sunday, April 22, we took Sean's ashes along with his dog Snow's (who passed a few years ago) ashes to Main Beach in East Hampton. Our good friend David Lys and Sean's brother Conlon kayaked out past the break of the waves and scattered both sets of ashes in the ocean. Meanwhile, on the shore, a bagpiper played "Amazing Grace" and those in attendance shared stories and kind words about Sean. Sean would have absolutely loved the ceremony. It, again, was quite amazing. The photo above was taken during the ceremony and I thought that I would like to share it with you all.


I just wanted to take a minute to thank all of you for all that you have done. Everyone has gone above and beyond and made every effort to make this transition as easy as possible. Finally, I wanted to thank anyone who has made a donation to either the American Brain Tumor Association or The Carabine Fund for Iraqi Children, your generosity is greatly appreciated.


I hope that you will all continue to check in to the blog, I think that I am going to keep it going as it has been a very nice outlet for me and an easy and fun way to keep track of the details of life that slip away from you after a while. So please check back frequently.

11 comments:

pam parto said...

Great job doing something that I'm know was difficult. Mom

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

Remember you are never alone as the Lord is always right beside you. Love, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Without Sean, you and I would have never have met. To that, I am thankful. We have become best friends, and remember I am here for you!

Love, Stacie

pam parto said...

I forgot a couple of things. I would also like to thank everyone for all the support and kind words during this difficult time. I would also like to thank Shawn for introducing Stephanie to Sean and all his wonderful family and friends. Pam

Anonymous said...

Steph,
I'm so glad you added this to your blog. I've been checking back for new stuff. The scattering of Sean's ashes sounded peaceful and the picture you posted is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us!
I'm so glad we got to meet and I'd love to keep in touch! Just holler when you're ready....

Take care,
Steph

Anonymous said...

While he is no longer physically present, Sean will continue to be with each and every person whom he touched along his travels here. Although his time seemed short, his life was not at all. Sean impacted more people than we will ever fully know as many of us shared his story along the way, someone so spectacular and rare could not be kept to ourselves. He taught us all to make the most of our lives simply because they are our lives and he made sure we always understood that we are in control of how we live them. Along our continued travels I am sure many of us will think of Sean, especially at the crossroads in our journeys as his forte was putting life into perspective. He helped many of us to put our lives back into perspective. Sean will be with us forever and we are all very blessed to have had the opportunity to learn from him. As his mom once said to me, Sean is an "old soul", he knew so many things that most of us are still trying to figure out.

Sean will surely be missed, but certainly never forgotten. I'm so grateful to have ever known him.

Steph, I'm here for you if you ever need anything, any time. Please give Brutus a hug and kiss for me :-)

Shawn Grimes said...

The glorious chariots of kings wear out, and the body wears out and grows old; but the virtue of the good never grows old. The virtue of the good lives on through the people that have experienced the kindness and compassion of the virtuous. There is no doubt that Sean and Steph have been a positive impact on us all.

Pam,
I may have sat the flint next to the steel, but they created the spark.

Anonymous said...

Steph,

you have shown great strength these last few weeks, Sean would have so proud of you. I wish Rocky and I could have been in NY with all of you but I'm sure it was a beautiful and fitting way to send sweet Sean off. You take care of yourself and remember no one who knew him will ever, ever forget him....

Love you
Mamma and Papa Leah

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
We are so glad that we were able to attend the memorial in East Hampton last weekend. It was a beautiful tribute to Sean and to the love and strength you and your families have shown throughout this difficult time.
Wishing you all the best,
-Diane Baringer

Anonymous said...

it was great getting to go to New York for that weekend. it will always be a memory. and i know Sean would have loved it.

Courtney

prumom said...

Brian and I are so grateful for everyone who contributed to the celebration of Sean's life. Special thanks go to PJ and Jess Cantwell, David Lys, Ken Cullum, Natalie Nessel, and the staff of hospital in Baltimore. We also have deeply appreciated the prayers of so many in the community which allowed him the grace he required, allowed Stephanie the strength and patience she required, and allowed us the courage we needed to let him go on to his next great adventure. Most sincerely, the Carabine family